Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

What a stellar day! For the last little while in the dig site in our Trench VI.2 we found absolutely nothing major, nada, zip zilch. Diddly-squat I tell you! But that all changed today, after our persistent waiting, we found four fantastical things. First we found part of a rim of a bowl, cup thing (Geoffrey wasn’t sure, we weren’t allowed to take it out :( ). Then we found a chunk (“sherd” technically speaking) of pottery with what looks like a flower pattern on it (Attic from about 6th century B.C.). Just a few seconds after that, we FINALLY found the burial on the left section of our trench, and it was a roof tile burial! Not sure why that’s so significant yet, I suppose maybe because it’s the first of it’s kind at our site. Now for the creme de la creme, the mini Lekithos we found! (I should also clarify “we” stands for myself, Leesa, Shannon and Chelsea at this point. Also Leesa found the burial, Chelsea found the shard, I found the Lekithos and burried bowl/cup thing. Total luck though, of course) Oh it’s so tiny and we think mostly intact!! Geoffrey said it was probably part of the funerary rituals and was used for anointing the body with oil. It’s so cool looking! I can’t wait till tomorrow so we can hopefully dig them up, and then wash them on thursday! :D
I also realized that at this point I have failed to mention the animals which have grown as tentative pets to our group. First we have Rio our stray cat which we nursed back to health. The first time we saw him, he just cam strolling into our Greek class, wandered around as comfortable as can be, hopped on the tables looking for love. It was so cute. For a little while he stayed around the Herculean Building until one day he followed us home, and Nela (who worked in a vet) fed him and determined that he had an upper respiratory disease. After some humming and hawing a few people chipped in and bought him some antibiotics. And he is so much better, his eyes aren't gunky and gross anymore and he doesn't wheeze anymore! I think he is going to be a very loved cat by the end of the trip, he’s so cuddly! When we watch movies in the Herculean building he comes and cuddles with us, and now he sleeps in the common room on one of the comfy chairs. Our second pet’s name is Lola, not sure what kind of dog she is but she’s brown with a black patch on her back. She is just a puppy and is teething, so she tries to chew on most things, although I have now made it clear that she is not to chew on me. Except that now I'm pretty sure she doesn't like me very much.

Well thats that, I was going to post this yesterday with pictures but I can't get them off my camera with Shannon's memory card for some reason, so I'll have to edit that later on.

Now lets talk about today! We also found cool things today, we uncovered the rest of the burial and in part of the edge of where we are digging we found the rim of a wine jar! ttehehehe. It looks pretty intact to, but I don't want to get my hopes up in case it is broken except for the rim. Other than that we did a ton of waiting around so tomorrow we can hopefully take them out! I suppose for now, I can put some pictures up from the internet, I didn't take these and here's where they are from:
http://pottery.about.com/od/glazesurfaces/ig/Ancient-Greek-Pottery-Images/Oenochoe.htm
http://www.acropolart.fr/us/Archeologie_classique.html

And i'll take them off as soon as I have my own! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment