Friday, October 16, 2009

perfect.

today. today was perfect.


we got up and met Gerry (one of the locals here -- he grew up in Australia and so is fluent in English as well as Greek) at 9am and he took us (us = Michelle S, Leesa, myself and Michelle P) to Argostoli for a day of exploring and shopping! It was supposed to be crappy weather today, but it was actually quite warm (20-ish) and sunny!

I think I've finally finished souvenir hunting for my family. Now all I really have left to get is something(s) for Brian and a few small things for friends. Hurray!!

On our way to Argostoli, we stopped at the animal shelter to drop off the kitten that Michelle P found on the side of the road a few days ago. We've been feeding it and letting it sleep in our apartments (and we gave it a flea bath) but we're technically not allowed to have animals there SO we had to get rid of it. The lady at the "shelter" (which is actually just the home of a friendly, aging British couple) didn't want to take the kitten because they already have too many animals and they're trying to retire buuut we didn't have any other options so they took it after all. Whew.

On our way HOME from Argostoli (well, still there -- but just before we left) we stopped at the GROCERY STORE. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to find food at reasonable prices. It was like heaven. Only... Heaven will probably smell better. And be less crowded.

ANYWAY. So I'm all stocked up now and I'm pretty sure I won't have to buy anything other than fruit, vegetables and milk (and maybe eggs) again between now and when we wrap up at the end of November!



Once Gerry dropped us off at home and I put away my groceries and started a load of laundry, I decided to head to town to use the Internet at Pantelis. I'm SO sad that he's closing up the restaurant in like TWO weeks (end of Oct/start of Nov). This is my favourite place in Poros! For one thing, the Internet actually works. For another thing -- the view is just so wonderful. I can see the sunset over the ocean from here but I can be sheltered from the wind and rain if it's cold or sit out in the sun if it's not! Also -- Pantelis and his mom are just the most wonderful people!!!

Yesterday he gave Michelle, Leesa and I free waffles and ice cream (we'd been there just for ice cream cones but he convinced us to stay -- as I believe I posted yesterday). Today, I showed up on my own and he offered me fish (instead of the Greek salad I'd asked for -- I stuck with the salad because I'd been craving it all day!) and brownies (or "broenies") with ice cream! Maybe it's a good thing he's closing up soon or I think I'd gain like 60 lbs!

His mom came over after I'd started in on the salad and presented me with a gift!! I was so surprised! She gave me a beautiful woven "Kefalonia" bookmark... so sweet! Then she brought over the photo album from Pantelis' wedding (his wife is beautiful -- her name is Thalia) and they went through it with me pointing out all the places on the island where the wedding and reception had taken place, as well as who all the cousins were "this is my cousin, this is my other cousin, these are my second cousins..." etc. Remember the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? Yea. Like that.

Basically... I think I'm going to have to come here every single day from now until they close because I'll have a WHOLE MONTH without them after that.


This place has TOTALLY made this trip for me. It's like... it's where I get to "mingle" with the locals and get a bit more of a feeling for what life is like in this little town on this little island. I wish language could convey... but it can't. It's perfect though. Maybe THIS is why I love small towns. I love connecting with people.

I keep remembering back to when my dad used to bring us to a truck stop between Caledonia and Hamilton that was run by a cheerful Greek woman, Helen. I think of her and that restaurant a lot while I'm here because she ran her restaurant a lot like Pantelis runs his. We went there all the time and when he put together some new menus for her, she took us all out for dinner at a fancy Greek restaurant as a thank-you!

Oh, and as I'm typing, Pantelis mom came over to have me try ANOTHER dish that SHE made. It's crushed grapes with flour, honey, and cinnamon. Kind of like a tart, thick pudding -- yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment