Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Looking Ahead...

We now interrupt this program for... more personal news! This is a little off-topic (on-topic being anything about the field-school-in-Greece portion of this trip)...

But I just purchased my ferry ticket from Patras (near Athens) to Venice, Italy!!! Woohoo!


For €39,20 (they use commas instead of periods here) I'm leaving on a boat from Greece at 11:59pm on the 29th of November and arriving in Venice at 7:30am on the 1st of Dec.

For those of you who don't like math - that's 31 hours on a boat. But it's cheap. And they'll take me AND my luggage. *grin*


My plan, right now, is to head right to the train station in Venice where I can store my luggage for the day for less than €10 and then wander the city (ride in a Gondola!) until I leave on the train that night at 11:30pm! The train will take me to Rome where I'll arrive just before 7am, drop my luggage off at a hostel (I've found a couple that look promising) and then start wandering THAT city until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.

I fly out of Rome on Dec 6.

SO. I have a LONG ferry ride... followed by one day in Venice and four days in Rome!

I'm still excited to be in Greece. I'm also excited, however, about that wee bit of independent travel when this field school is over!

Any suggestions for absolute MUST SEE sights, sounds or experiences in Venice? Rome?


And as far as news about the HERE AND NOW...

We uncovered all of our burial today!! The whole body is covered with roof tiles/piping. We've already taken out two super-cool pieces of pottery (whole items! They're called "small finds" instead of sherds!)

Anyway. While digging around the burial itself, I also accidentally found a skull. We'd been finding lots of bone fragments and were thinking that our tile burial was a secondary burial (the bones we were finding were likely pushed aside to make room for this new one) aaand the crushed up skull I found pretty much confirms this hypothesis. Fun times!

Tomorrow we're hoping to get it ready to actually take off the tiles and start excavating the body and whatever is buried with it underneath the tiles! It's all very weird!!! And cool!!!

K. Gotta run. The girls are waiting for me. Apparently the Internet is only working for my laptop. Good for me, not good for them. Muchos love friends!

Σας αγαπώ μου φίλοι! (pronounced: Sass A-gap-oh phil-oi! Μeaning: I love you my friends!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow the time is flying by. Glad to hear you have your tickets for Italy. Will be glad when you are home safe and sound. Love and miss you Mum

    ReplyDelete