Sunday, September 27, 2009

And the rain came...

Doesn't feel much like Greece when it's windy and rainy and cold, but we managed to keep ourselves busy...

It started to rain a bit on Thursday just as we were wrapping up for the day so we didn't do the BBQ lunch that we'd originally had planned (that's been moved to next week). Instead, we found out that Hetti and her husband were going to have us all over for dinner!

Leesa, Michelle, Amanada and I had been planning on going out for dinner together at Pentieli's but this new development led to our decision to do lunch instead :) After lunch we headed back to the hotel with just enough time to do some laundry and head back to the Hercules building (our classroom) for some pottery washing/reading.

We all headed straight to Hetti's for dinner after our pottery was clean and Geoffrey had taken some time to teach us how to read it (figure out what kind of pottery it was, where it was from, when it was from, etc.). Dinner was amazing! Hetti had made us lentil soup, Kefalonia meat pies, pasta salad, avocado/potato salad, tzatziki... yum.


Friday was rainy... so I went with Michelle, Leesa and Mike to Skala. A cab's only about 15€ so split between four people it was definitely worth it. We need to go back when it's sunny though -- the beach there is a lot nicer than the one in Poros!

One thing we hadn't thought through very well was the fact that everything closes from 2-3pm until 6pm! We arrived in Skala at about 1:30pm so didn't have too much time to shop before everything closed up for afternoon siesta! Bah! Still, I found a tablecloth for my mom and it was perfect -- when I went back to get it, that's when we remembered about the 3pm closing thing. The store where I'd found it was already closed!! Luckily, Leesa, Michelle and Mike didn't mind waiting around 'til it reopened. I also picked up a few other odds and ends for Christmas and am almost done my souvenir shopping! Definitely a productive day. It's warm enough that the rain didn't really bother us too much -- except maybe Michelle; she didn't bring a jacket.

Friday night a bunch of us watched The Fifth Element in the Hercules building... Weird movie!!!


Yesterday (Saturday) was even more rainy than Friday so we headed into Poros to check out some of the other souvenir shops that we hadn't already been to. We got pretty wet (rain will do that to you) and decided to stop at Pantieli's on our way home for some hot chocolate... We = Michelle, Leesa and I. Mike had come to town with us but needed to grab some groceries on the way home too. Anyway. We were there for just a few minutes when Pantieli brought us out a plate of cake and ice cream to share! He said his mom had put it together for us (she works there too). Sweet!!!

You know you're probably spending too much time at a restaurant when they start bringing you goodies for free... In any case -- still loving the small town-ness of this place.


Except for today... when it was STILL rainy. I made real food for dinner (haven't done that since I've been here) and it was fabulous (if I don't say so myself). Michelle tried some though, and she agreed. It really was good. Salmon (with olive oil, lemon juice and salt 'n pepper) and potatoes -- sliced up and baked in the oven with onions, carrots and zucchini.


Other than that... we did a lot more of nothing today. Michelle and Leesa convinced Mike and I to watch "The Dark Crystal" with them. Oi. It's a Jim Henson movie... I'm so not a big fan of puppet movies. But whatever -- I'm so picking the movie next time :)

Then Michelle and I played cards for like... two hours. And now... Now I'm about ready to head to bed early so that I can be all cheery and energized tomorrow for digging. It's nice outside now -- the sky has cleared up because the weekend is over. *sigh*

I'm so not showering after the dig tomorrow. Straight to the beach for me!


Muchos love friends. Next weekend will be much more exciting because the sun will be shining and we'll be traveling together to Ithika! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment