Friday, November 20, 2009

Creative Packing

It's a little early yet to be packing... I know. But see, the ferry won't be a big deal (it's the "very low season" so I expect the ferry won't be overloaded with people and since I just have "deck seats" I don't think it'll be problematic stashing whatever luggage I have beside the bench(es) I plan on sleeping on). The flight home from Rome won't be a big deal either -- I'm allowed to check in two bags.

It's the TRAIN. The train from Venice to Rome won't be easy (or comfortable) if I have TWO large luggage bags. SO. I've started to pack... hoping against hope that I can manage to stuff everything I brought here and everything I've purchased since I've been here, including my large backpack, into the larger of the two bags that I have. Mostly, I think I've been rather successful. I threw out my dig clothes (they had holes and were dirty beyond repair anyway). I rolled everything up... and I still have my smaller backpack and laptop bag to stuff with what's left... a few items of clothing, my Bible, laptop, camera, iPod, etc.

Here's hoping it works out!! The only thing left is to find someone with some muscle to help get the silly thing up the stairs and onto the train when I'm actually at the station. You try fitting two bags worth of things into one bag and then lifting it up. HA!

Luckily, finding helpful people has never been especially difficult for me sooo... I'm not overly concerned. If not friendly, I figure the people around me will, at the very least, be wanting to get on the train as quickly as possible and so hopefully won't mind helping me speed up the process.



In other news...

Watched "Howl's Moving Castle" with Michelle and Leesa a few nights ago -- it was fabulous!! I enjoyed most of the (two) anime movies I've seen before, but this one was REALLY good. I already want to watch it again.

We finished, or mostly finished, our pottery catalogue and small finds catalogue yesterday! The four of us will have to read through and fix up any final formatting or spelling mistakes but otherwise... that's it for that portion of our program! All that's left school-wise now is GREEK! We have one more class on Monday (it'll be review) and then our exam on Wednesday! CRAZY!

θα σπουδάσω πολύ το σαββατοκύριακη! (I will study a lot this weekend)!

The best part about that sentence ^ is that I didn't have to look anything up to write it *grin*


What else?

Tonight we're having a beach party near Vasillis' bar... Vasillis has offered to help us make the bonfire happen and everyone is bringing wine and some kind of appetizer or cheese or something to make it a wine 'n cheese event. I'm bringing chocolate :)

On Wednesday after our exam, Michelle and Leesa and I are planning on having dinner out at a restaurant in town that we went to once as a large group... then on Saturday night (next Saturday -- the last night of our time here) we're going to have one last gyro together. Well, three gyros, technically. One each.

Today a few of us (Nela -- my roommate -- Becky, blond Michelle and myself) went swimming and spent a couple of hours on the beach. That's right. I went swimming. In the ocean. And tanning. On NOVEMBER 20. And we did it because it was HOT. And sunny. Perfect. Michelle and Leesa came too, they just came a bit later.

Think that about sums up my last couple of days/weeks... I'm looking forward to the time we have left together in Poros but I'm also excited about a few days in Italy and then seeing my friends and family back home in Ontario! So much going on in the next few weeks!! Crazy. In the course of one week (the first week of Dec) I will be taking EVERY kind of transit... boat, plane, train and automobile... whew.

Not sure if I'll have a chance to update again before I get back to Ontario, but I'll certainly try. It'll depend on how available the Internet is in Italy and whether or not we manage to keep ourselves busy here in Poros over the next week... There's not a heck of a lot to do in a town where everything that isn't closed for the winter, is still only open in the mornings until 1:30-2pm other than one or two restaurants and another one or two cafes...

ANYWAY.

Much love! Will see most of you soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment